Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Joyous in the right to have Pride

I have noot been very reliable in posting blog posts since I came home. It seems that I have given prioity to other things such as buying paint and scraping the backyard fence to prepare for a paint job and buying roofing shingles and learning how to put them on  for our shed so that the roof boards will not rot and planting a garden and keeping it watered because we have not had much rain the in the last few weeks and many other sundry things. But on 3 June I was a part of an event that I want to share with you.

An author, Andrew Marin, in the USA has written a book called "Love is an Orientation: Elevating the Conversation With the Gay Community". People have read its message and begun a campaign called "I'm sorry" http://www.themarinfoundation.org/imsorry/ It calls for those who consider themselves Christian to apologize for the way that "we as Christians have harmed the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual,Transgender (LGBT)  community". The movement asks those who consider themselves Christian, no matter where they stand in their beliefs about the theology or morality to acknowledge that we are ALL children of God that have the right to be treated with dignity and compassion.

We are here to apologize for the ways that we as Christians have harmed the LGBT community
...for hiding behind religion when really I was just scared
...I have looked down on you instead of honouring your humanity.
...for not listening
...I've chosen comfort instead of stepping out boldly in love
(Taken from a banner from the Chicago Pride Parade)

I want to share with you some of the photos from that afternoon. Some were taken by my friend Brad Langendoen who has spent several months as an intern on the Iraqi Kurdistan team.


Brad L. with his trusty camera


Some of us from Hope Mennonite joined the Little Flowers Comunity at the Winnipeg Pride Parade 2012 [Brad]




Two of the participants in the parade



United Church of Canada representatives in the parade

Mona from Hope Mennonite and her son Elias (who is in a carrying pouch in front of Josiah). [Brad ]


Elias is greeted by a parade participant [Brad]


The man who made the sign I'm carrying left so I took it. [Brad]


I was pleased to receive a hug [Brad]

LOVE IS AN ORIENTATION

*I commit to listening to the stories of others and seeking to understand
*We will strive to make things better for the LGT community
*We are here to join the celebrations and affirm God's love for everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment